Unable to compile GCC-4.4.3, Pass 1

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Fri Mar 26 20:20:22 PDT 2010

On 03/26/2010 10:56 PM, stosss wrote:

> When I first went through the book it was very confusing. After just
> doing it and not knowing if I was doing it right, and having done it
> right and having built several systems that work, now the confusion is
> gone.
>
> For first time readers there are several places in the book that are
> confusing. Yes there are notes at the beginning of chapters 4, 5 and 6
> that apply to the entire chapter. First time readers who are not as
> experienced don't always remember what they read at the beginning of
> the chapter when they are trying to get what is in front of them done
> right.
>
> Chris, because you have done this many times it is clear to you. You
> also apparently know this stuff well enough that you can't understand
> why others have difficulty with it. Can't see the forest because of
> the trees.

Oh geez, more "you experts don't comprehend thought processes of mere
mortals" nonsense. How about skipping the generic "you know because
you've done it 1000 times" and just get to the actual point? I don't
need anyone to tell me how important it is to make sure the book is
clear - ensuring that the text is technically correct, and more
importantly understandable, is my primary goal.

And just for the record, I did also understand it just fine the *first*
time I did it, so don't even think you can give me that "you only know
because you're an expert" crap.

If there is a specific issue, please make a suggestion. You won't get
anywhere just repeating that "the book is confusing and you non-newbies
just don't comprehend how to make it readable."