Unable to compile GCC-4.4.3, Pass 1

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 19:56:46 PDT 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Chris Staub <chris at beaker67.com> wrote:
> On 03/26/2010 10:00 PM, Chris Staub wrote:
>> On 03/26/2010 09:22 PM, Simon Geard wrote:
>>>
>>>       "The GCC documentation recommends building GCC outside
>>>       of it's source directory in a dedicated build directory."
>>>

>>> To me, replacing "the" with "it's" makes is much clearer that it refers
>>> to GCC's source directory, not to the higher-level one containing the
>>> tarballs.
>>>
>>> Simon.
>>>

>> Well, I still don't agree that the way it is now is confusing (unless
>> you're reading too much into it), but I guess "its" (and that's "its"
>> not "it's") is technically a bit more accurate anyway, so may as well
>> change it.
>
> Of course, the same would apply to Binutils and Glibc as well, and
> arguably E2fsprogs...

When I first went through the book it was very confusing. After just
doing it and not knowing if I was doing it right, and having done it
right and having built several systems that work, now the confusion is
gone.

For first time readers there are several places in the book that are
confusing. Yes there are notes at the beginning of chapters 4, 5 and 6
that apply to the entire chapter. First time readers who are not as
experienced don't always remember what they read at the beginning of
the chapter when they are trying to get what is in front of them done
right.

Chris, because you have done this many times it is clear to you. You
also apparently know this stuff well enough that you can't understand
why others have difficulty with it. Can't see the forest because of
the trees.

The book is not clear and there are places that do need to be written
clearer. This is not an attack on anyone who is connected to what is
in the book. It is hard for you who maintain the book to see why and
how the new reader can be confused because you know the process so
well isn't confusing for you.

This is where this project has always had a problem. New readers say
the book is confusing and those with much experience at doing such
things get defensive and say the book is clear and take issue with any
one that says the book is not clear.

I would like to see those who know this stuff well and who write the
book, be more willing to listen to others who are not as experienced
and then figure out how to change the book so it is clear.

There have been some that say the book is for experienced readers and
not new people and others how point out that some of the command
processes in the book actually do cater to new readers and not just
those with more experience.

I would like to see this project and the book improved. Everyone has
to be willing to cooperate before new people that come along and could
help might be willing to stick around and help.

Besides how many people are actually involved with this project? I
don't mean how many people have registered. How many people are doing
the work? What will happen to this project when they get tired of
doing the work? I see about 3 or 4 people. Two of them actually
writing the book. This project has to be a grind at times for them.

--
If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the
people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become