Unable to compile GCC-4.4.3, Pass 1

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Fri Mar 26 18:22:08 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-26 at 11:33 -0400, Chris Staub wrote:
> Yes, this is referring specifically to GCC's source directory, not the
> $LFS/sources dir, and a few people have said they were slightly
> confused by this as well, but then I think the way it is in the book
> is clear enough as it is. I believe LFS' intended audience should be
> able to understand that distinction.

Well, if we're seeing people being confused by what 'source directory'
refers to in this case, it's probably worth trying to clarify it a
little. Even a single-word change like the following might help:

    "The GCC documentation recommends building GCC outside
    of it's source directory in a dedicated build directory."

To me, replacing "the" with "it's" makes is much clearer that it refers
to GCC's source directory, not to the higher-level one containing the
tarballs.

Simon.