Unable to compile GCC-4.4.3, Pass 1

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 26 12:03:37 PDT 2010

John Stephens wrote:
> Chris,
> Thanks for the reply.  I've spent a lot of time in chapters 4 and 5.
> I'm finding the book (6.6) a little unclear in certain areas which is
> probably what is throwing me off to some degree.
>
> For example, look at 5.5.1, first box.  It says:
>
> tar -jxf ../mpfr-2.4.2.tar.bz2
> mv -v mpfr-2.4.2 mpfr
> tar -jxf ../gmp-5.0.0.tar.bz2
> mv -v ../gmp-5.0.0 gmp
>
> What is the point of reference for "../pkg-name"?  If I am in my
> /mnt/lfs/sources dir, then the ../ takes me up to /mnt/lfs and the
> source tarball is not there.

In the "General Instructions" you'll see that, for each package
you are going to build, you are to untar the tarball, then cd
to the directory which came out of the tarball. Each section
associated with a package presumes that you have already done
that before it describes the steps to follow.

> I haven't found any reference as to where I should be sitting
> (directory wise...) when I issue the commands.

Look in the general instructions.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.