Unable to compile GCC-4.4.3, Pass 1

John Stephens jstephens at jkstephens.net
Fri Mar 26 06:54:05 PDT 2010

Chris and Phillippe,

Thanks for the insights.  Like I stated before, I was either missing
something conceptually or misinterpreting something.

I took the instructions "The GCC documentation recommends building GCC
outside of the source directory in a dedicated build directory." to
mean outside of /mnt/lfs/source (i.e. at the /mnt/lfs level) instead
of outside  /mnt/lfs/source/gcc-4.4.3 (i.e. at the /mnt/lfs/source
level).  Subtle, but important difference.

This being the case, should the instructions on 5.5.1 (assuming I am
sitting in /mnt/lfs/source/gcc-4.4.3 as instructed):
tar -jxf ../mpfr-2.4.2.tar.bz2
mv -v mpfr-2.4.2 mpfr
tar -jxf ../gmp-5.0.0.tar.bz2
mv -v gmp-5.0.0 gmp

really be:
tar -jxf ../mpfr-2.4.2.tar.bz2
mv -v ../mpfr-2.4.2 ../mpfr
tar -jxf ../gmp-5.0.0.tar.bz2
mv -v ../gmp-5.0.0 ../gmp

Seriously, I am not attempting to be argumentative and again I might
be missing something here.  However this and the issue with "source
directory" has caused me a little grief.