grub2: error: fiel not found

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 26 05:11:11 PDT 2010

On 26 March 2010 08:34, Simon Geard <delgarde at ihug.co.nz> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 20:04 +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
>>  No, this is grub2 - on x86, disks still start at zero, but dos partitions
>> have their "real" number (1-4 for primary, 5+ for extended) so (hd0,15)
>> is indeed sda15.
>
> Yeah... because having them inconsistent is less confusing than having
> them both start at zero?
>
> You say *dos* partitions - does grub2 behave differently for other types
> of partition table?

 The syntax can differ.  The one I noticed on my initial searches was
for ppc macs using OpenFirmware and apple partitions.
[ http://grub.enbug.org/TestingOnPowerPC ]
linux (hd,7)/vmlinux root=/dev/hda9

  For BSD partitions, letters are used, or slice numbers and letters.

 All of these variants seem to make the partition identifiers consistent
with most other programs.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"