grub2: error: fiel not found

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 17:39:03 PDT 2010

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On 25 March 2010 20:22, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> What happens if you move the set root=(hd0,15) outside the menuentry?
>>
>  I'm fairly sure I tried it, but it made no difference.
>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by rescue shell. Â Can you elaborate?
>>
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2#Using_the_command_shell
> (end of that section, and into the next).  Basically, grub couldn't
> load its normal shell (as it would if e.g. grub.cfg was unusable),
> so it does its best to let you fix things _if_ you know how.
>
>> Are you using grub-1.98?
>>
>  No, this is 1.97.2 and the stable book.

OK then.  Are you at the test phase?  That is doing section  8.4.3.
Testing the Configuration.

If so, what seems to be happening is that grub-install is not creating
the /boot/grub/core.img file properly.  grub-install is a script.  You
might try hacking that script around line 312 to see what the value or
$modules is for your installation.

   -- Bruce