grub2: error: fiel not found

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 25 09:09:18 PDT 2010

On 25 March 2010 15:00, linux fan <linuxscratch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 3/24/10, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>  I've finally got round to trying to install grub2 on one of my boxes.
>
> I messed with grub2 a little.
> I tried the 'kernel ..../core.img' method to get to grub2 from legacy.
>
> 'set' shows the settings somewhat like bash.
>
> 'set pager=1' ... I think pages output instead of scrolling so you cannot read.
> 'insmod help' ... maybe
>
> Getting the correct 'set root=' very important.
> insmod ext2 .. of course
>
> I had success from grub legacy to grub2 with something like:
> kernel ..../core.img
> boot
> set root= ... correctly
> (there may have been another 'set' relevant to path)
> insmod ext2
> insmod configfile
> (forgot exact) ... configfile (hd0,15)/.../grub.cfg
>
> I kept hammering and eventually pulled up the grub2 menu.
> Sorry, I don't remember exact formulas.
> --
 Thanks, that was *extremely* helpful.  As usual, I've got
multiple errors - eventually booted, but not the system I
intended :)

 I hadn't realised that 'set' would show the values.  Could
have used the pager value earlier, but since then I've got
rid of a lot of old kernels.

Took me a few minutes to realise what was the main error:
grub rescue> set
prefix=(hd0,15)/boot/grub
root=hd0,15

After a few more failed attempts to insmod anything,
I realised that the added '/boot' was the problem.  Fixed
that with

set prefix=(hd0,15)/grub
insmod normal
normal

and at that point I had a menu.  I'll take another look
at everything in grub.cfg when I've found my fine
toothcomb ;)

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"