grub2: error: fiel not found

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 08:00:03 PDT 2010

On 3/24/10, Ken Moffat <zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com> wrote:
>  I've finally got round to trying to install grub2 on one of my boxes.

I messed with grub2 a little.
I tried the 'kernel ..../core.img' method to get to grub2 from legacy.

'set' shows the settings somewhat like bash.

'set pager=1' ... I think pages output instead of scrolling so you cannot read.
'insmod help' ... maybe

Getting the correct 'set root=' very important.
insmod ext2 .. of course

I had success from grub legacy to grub2 with something like:
kernel ..../core.img
boot
set root= ... correctly
(there may have been another 'set' relevant to path)
insmod ext2
insmod configfile
(forgot exact) ... configfile (hd0,15)/.../grub.cfg

I kept hammering and eventually pulled up the grub2 menu.
Sorry, I don't remember exact formulas.