grub2: error: fiel not found

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 24 13:29:03 PDT 2010

 I've finally got round to trying to install grub2 on one of my boxes.
Although this has been using grub-legacy, I was unable to test it
by putting the files on the new '/' and running
'kernel /boot/grub/core.img' because I'm using ext4 for '/'
so legacy gives me Error2: Bad file or directory type.

 Fortunately, I've got a good rescue CD (systemrescuecd
http://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/ ) so I've
been able to try installing grub2 (and then reinstalling
legacy grub, twice so far).  But I'm not making any progress.

When grub2 starts, I see

GRUB loading.
Welcome to GRUB!

Entering rescue mode...
error: file not found
grub rescue>

 The best guide to the grub rescue shell seems to be
in the Arch wiki - commands are ls,insmod,set,unset.
My (ext3) /boot partition is sda15 (hd0,15) and from
the rescue shell 'ls' shows me the expected filesystems
(hd0,5) ... (hd0,15) and 'ls /' shows me that it is indeed
on sda15.

 If I 'ls /grub' I can see the images and modules.  But
if I try 'insmod' for almost any module (normal, help,
extcmd, search, linux) I get
error: file not found
whether I specify the module name or the module's
path and filename.ext, or the disk, path, filename.ext.

 Interestingly, it must have managed to load ext2 to
be able to show me the directories and files, and
'insmod ext2' does not produce an error message.

 An extract from grub.cfg has
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
set default=0
set timeout=5
### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

# sda6 clfs-2009-04-30 pure64
menuentry "clfs-2009-04-30 pure64 2.6.33 (sda6)" {
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,15)
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 5a1327f4-48e3-4bce-afe3-67b388437720
        linux   /vmlinuz-2.6.33-sda6 root=/dev/sda6
video=radeonfb:1024x768-16 at 70 ro
}

# sda7 LFS-6.6-rc2 pure64
menuentry "LFS-6.6-rc2 pure64 2.6.33 (sda7)" {
        insmod ext2
        set root=(hd0,15)
        search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 5a1327f4-48e3-4bce-afe3-67b388437720
        linux   /vmlinuz-2.6.33-sda7 root=/dev/sda7
video=radeonfb:1024x768-16 at 70 ro
}

 I've checked the following:
all kernels mentioned in grub.cfg are present (but I suspect it hasn't
got that far, otherwise I would be in the regular grub shell, not the
rescue shell)

the uuid matches what blkid reports for the /boot filesystem

 At this point, I'm out of ideas.  Bootloaders are strange and
idiosyncratic beasts.  I can cope with terseness but it would be nice to
have some idea what it is failing to find.  I've spent time trying to find
a description of what grub2 does when it boots, but nothing.

 Any suggestions, please ?

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"