Which chipset for USB?

linux fan linuxscratch at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 16:36:40 PDT 2010

On 3/22/10, brown wrap <gramos at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Today I booted up the LFS 6.3 DVD and its works as well. I found its .config
> and tried to use it to build a kernal:
>

> make mrproper
>
> Copied it to .config
>
> make oldconfig
>
> make
>
> make modules_install
>
> and then copied everything to its place in the /boot directory.
>
> I had previuously done the same thing with the CentOS .config. Both end up
> in a 'panic'.

In order to try that method,
After you do the "make oldconfig", you need to do "make menuconfig"
and select to build into the kernel "Y" the few things that are totally
necessary at boot time.
This would include at the very least
ext2
ext3
hard drive (I saw CONFIG_SATA_AHCI=y in your pastebin)

The rule is that if the kernel must have it at boot time in order to
access the hard drive and filesystem (before the filesystem has
been accessed), then it must be built into the kernel or made available
via initrd.

Centos uses initrd, so it can have those essential things as modules, but
if not using initrd, if those essential things are modules, it will panic.