Which chipset for USB?

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Mon Mar 22 00:16:10 PDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 10:27 -0700, brown wrap wrote:
> Well, I have tried dozens of configurations to try and get my USB
> ports to work and nothing has succeeded. There is a config that works,
> because my USB ports work on CentOS, but I am tired of fighting the
> issue. I simply want a recommendation on a chipset or PCI board that
> works under LFS.

And that's kind of hard to answer, because *all* of them should,
including your current NVidia one. If USB works for you on CentOS, it's
not a question of whether it's supported by Linux or not. It has to be
something in your config, and if so, changing the hardware is unlikely
to make any difference.

For what it's worth, these are the config options I have enabled
relating to USB (everything is a module, not built-in).

* Device Drivers -> USB support -> Support for Host-side USB
* Device Drivers -> USB support -> EHCI HCD (USB 2.0) support
* Device Drivers -> USB support -> OHCI HCD support
* Device Drivers -> USB support -> USB Mass Storage support

That's it. I've been using that configuration on various machines for
years, including the NVidia chipset I'm currently running, and another
one before that.

Simon.