Kernel panic - VFS

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 07:23:20 PDT 2010

On 21/03/10 13:10, Yaacov-Yoseph Weiss wrote:
> I installed lfs (around the time of one of the 6.6 release candidates)
> on an old Compaq laptop using jhalfs. After completing the configuration
> (from the current 6.6 release), I tried to boot the new system and
> received a kernel panic saying it could not mount the root filesystem.
>
> I'll try to provide relevant details here. If any more are requested, I'll
> provide them.
>
> I'll give information by answering the FAQ question/answers to this
> question.
>
> -- Did you specify the correct partition in /boot/grub/menu.lst?
>
> I think so. The lfs partition is /dev/sda5, which is (hd0,4) on grub
> and (hd0,5) on grub2. grub can successfully boot grub2 from this
> partition.
>
> By the way, the configuration file name for grub2 isn't menu.lst
> any more.
>
> -- Is support for the hard drive enabled in the kernel. For SCSI
> this means support for the specific SCSI adapter.
>
> Yes.  I specifically made sure the CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD option
> mentioned in the list archive was enabled.
>
> -- Is support for the hard drive compiled into the kernel, not just
> as a module. (Modules are stored on the filesystem. If a driver
> needed to access the filesystem is stored as a module on
> that filesystem, well ... you know ... ;)
>
> I added CONFIG_PATA_VIA, and that did not help.
>
> -- Is support for the filesystem compiled into the kernel. Again,
> not a module. Support for ext2 is enabled by default, but others
> like ext3, reiser, jfs, and xfs are not.
>
> The filesystem is ext3, which is enabled (and is by default). I
> also added ext2 which isn't enabled by default anymore.
>

> I assume I missed something which should be obvious.

Perhaps you didn't enable support for the motherboards chipset or something else on
which CONFIG_PATA_VIA depends? If I were you I'd enable support for lots of things that
may, possibly be needed and compile them all into the kernel. Use lspci as a guide and
on you host system use lsmod to see which modules it has loaded (compile them into the
kernel as well). When you've got a kernel that boots, then you can start turning off
options to see what isn't needed or can be compiled as a module. If you break something,
back up to the last kernel that booted and try again.

Andy