write error with new version of tar

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 15:19:36 PDT 2010

linux fan wrote:
> On 3/19/10, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if "head" is closing the input pipe when it has read
>> all it needs, and that's causing the error. I can't reproduce
>> that problem with my host system, however.
>
> It is tar-1.23 and not head
>
> head --version
> head (GNU coreutils) 8.4
>
> tar -xf tar-1.23.tar.bz2
> cd tar-1.23
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --bindir=/bin --libexecdir=/usr/sbin
> make
>
> src/tar --version
> tar (GNU tar) 1.23
> src/tar -tf ../tar-1.23.tar.bz2 | head -1
> tar-1.23/
> src/tar: write error
>
> tar --version
> tar (GNU tar) 1.22
> tar -tf ../tar-1.23.tar.bz2 | head -1
> tar: Record size = 8 blocks
> tar-1.23/

Right.  They changed something with regard to the SIGPIPE signal.  The
default action is to terminate (man 7 signal), but they changed it to
SIGIGN (ignore).  It needs to be fixed.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=tar.git;a=commitdiff;h=release_1_22-41-g0c6c288

If I revert this change, the program works normally.  I did not revert
the change to the tests and test 91 failed.

I did report the error, and it seems it was also reported earlier today
by someone else.  Right now it is only an irritation, but we may want to
consider reverting to version 1.22.

   -- Bruce