my kernel won't recognize ide drives

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 18 13:52:40 PDT 2010

On 18 March 2010 19:24, Scott Kopel <skopel at fsu.edu> wrote:

> The system harddrive is a sata and it all works perfectly. My problem is that I have a several pata (ide) drives that I'd like to add to the system. The kernel doesn't recognize them. fdisk -l shows only sda and in /dev the only harddrive listed is sda. I ran dmesg | grep hd and found no references to hdx drives. I ran dmesg | grep sd and found only a reference to sda.
>
> I took the kernel from a Knoppix installation (2.6.32.6) and booted my lfs system with it and all the drives including the pata (ide) drives now appear. This leads me to believe that my problem is with my kernel configuration.
>
> So the question is what kernel configuration changes do I have to make to get the kernel to recognize my ide drives? I realize that new kernels name ide drives sdx and that's fine. I don't need them to be labeled hdx. I simply want them to be recognized by the kernel.

 In menuconfig, device drivers, Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers -
the PATA drivers start with 'ACPI firmware driver for PATA' and continue
to the end of that section.  Use lspci, and google, and the help for the
driver options, to determine which is appropriate for the chipset(s) on
your motherboard.

 This is probably a case where keeping the original kernel and modules
is a good idea, just in case adding drivers means the existing sda becomes
something else  (which will play havoc with /etc/fstab).  I recommend
adding an EXTRAVERSION for the new kernel, and giving the bzimage a
unique name (or 'an unique name' for some of the people here).

 If the new drives appear, but cause your existing drive to 'move',
revert to the original kernel and then I would mount by label or by
uuid (man fstab).

 As always, backups are a good idea, but with luck it will be a walk in
the park.

ĸen
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"