my kernel won't recognize ide drives

Scott Kopel skopel at fsu.edu
Thu Mar 18 12:24:06 PDT 2010

I recently built a system following the lfs 6.5 book exactly. The only difference in my distro is that I used kernel 2.6.30.10 instead of the suggested 2.6.30.2 kernel.

In compiling the kernel I used all the default settings except the following:
--I disabled loadable kernel modules
--I added the drivers for my nic
--I added "limit" and "recent" match support in the netfiltering section
--I changed the processor family to athlon/duron

The system harddrive is a sata and it all works perfectly. My problem is that I have a several pata (ide) drives that I'd like to add to the system. The kernel doesn't recognize them. fdisk -l shows only sda and in /dev the only harddrive listed is sda. I ran dmesg | grep hd and found no references to hdx drives. I ran dmesg | grep sd and found only a reference to sda.

I took the kernel from a Knoppix installation (2.6.32.6) and booted my lfs system with it and all the drives including the pata (ide) drives now appear. This leads me to believe that my problem is with my kernel configuration.

So the question is what kernel configuration changes do I have to make to get the kernel to recognize my ide drives? I realize that new kernels name ide drives sdx and that's fine. I don't need them to be labeled hdx. I simply want them to be recognized by the kernel.

Thank you for helping with this issue which is stumping me.

Scott Kopel
English Department
Florida State University
850 339 0523