fstab dump/fs_freq

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 20:16:30 PDT 2010

Trent Shea wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 March 2010 20:25:16 Trent Shea wrote:
>> As dump/restore is not part of LFS or BLFS should this field be 0 for all
>> rows?

dump is a command that uses those fields.  We do build dump in LFS or
BLFS, but someone might want to use that.

http://dump.sourceforge.net/

dump is really obsolete.  The better command is rsync.

In any case, the traditional interpretation is that file systems that
need to be saved/backed up (i.e. dumped) are 1, and pseudo file systems
are 0.  I see no reason to change that.

> CCing because I think it may be appropriate to modify the book?
>
> The sample /etc/fstab in chapter 8 has the mount point listed as swap, the man
> page says:
>

>  The  second field, (fs_file), describes the mount point for the filesystem.  For
> swap partitions,
>        this field should be specified as `none'. If the name of the mount point
> contains  spaces  these
>        can be escaped as `\040'.

That's was the man page says, but RedHat uses 'swap'.  Ubuntu uses
'none'.  In practice, the mount point is ignored if the type is swap.
It doesn't make any practical difference.

I can go either way.

   -- Bruce