Since we are talking USB

brown wrap gramos at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 17 16:39:50 PDT 2010

> Get a copy of the kernel that Centos uses and rebuild that
> with the
> Centos configuration.
>
> Alternatively, copy the Centos kernel to your LFS
> system.  You'll also
> need to copy the entire /lib/modules/<kernel-version>
> tree.
>
>    -- Bruce

What I did was get a copy of the CentOS config file, moved it over to the LFS system and then rebuilt the kernel. I thought I had tried that before, but didn't remember the result, other than the fact it wouldn't boot.

What happens is I get:

VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" on unknown - block (0.)

Please append a correct "root=" boot option, here are the available options:

and then it panics.

Now I don't know much about building kernels, so I followed the directions in the book, didn't vary at all. One thing I will point out is the CentOS system uses initrd. I don't know where that is defined, maybe that the reason for the panic.