Configuring the network script (Chapter 7) with Debian Lenny as host

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 22:40:50 PDT 2010

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-03-14 at 17:19 -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> that can be an issue on a laptop that has both wireless and wired nics.
>
> That should be a very rare case, I think. Wireless devices will
> generally be named wlan* by the kernel, and wired devices will be eth*.
> That's the case on my desktop (with a wireless card), and on every
> laptop I've used in recent years...

Probably.  I'm pretty sure the for loop will come back as an
alphabetical list, so eth0 will always be before wlan0.  A problem can
occur if there is more than one eth connection.  This happens a lot in
servers where most I've seen for years have two identical nics that are
instantiated as eth0 and eth1.  The order in that case would depend on
the electronics and which is presented to udev first.  I would think
that, in this case, the order would always be the same, but it may be
possible that the order could get switched.

Here is one example of three nics:

$lspci |grep Ethernet
02:09.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
02:09.1 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5704
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 03)
03:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82557/8/9 [Ethernet Pro
100] (rev 10)

In this case, only one is plugged in.

   -- Bruce