Configuring the network script (Chapter 7) with Debian Lenny as host

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 15:19:30 PDT 2010

Trent Shea wrote:

> I just ran a jhalfs build for lfs-6.6 and got hung up in chapter 7's
> "configuring the network script" at the for command. There are no errors
> reported, but no rule created either. I worked around this by booting to the
> new system and running the for command again.
>
> If someone can confirm this it may be worth a note in the errata.

I can't confirm.  What kind of nic do you have?  For me, I have

# PCI device 0x8086:0x10de (e1000e)
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ACTION=="add", DRIVERS=="?*",
ATTR{address}=="00:25:64:38:ec:dd", ATTR{type}=="1", KERNEL=="eth*",
NAME="eth0"

I did test 6.6 with jhalfs before release.  That for statement has been
in the book since May 2008, so its been working for quite a while.

As a side note, the 70-persistent-net.rules file is really only
applicable if you have multiple NICs, but that can be an issue on a
laptop that has both wireless and wired nics.

   -- Bruce