Grub/Grub2/Grub Legacy and x86_64

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Sat Mar 13 02:57:22 PST 2010

On 03/13/2010 04:48 AM, stosss wrote:
> I think I saw a post telling another user to use Grub 2 for a 64-bit
> system. Is this correct?
>
> GRUB-1.97.2 this appears to be the new Grub 2. Is this correct? The
> GNU web site says most distributions would be using 1.96.

That would be because 1.97.2 is still very recent.

> So, If I am going to build LFS 6.6, with the LFS 6.3 r2160 x86_64
> LiveCD as my host on x86_64 hardware, using the LFS 6.6 book and the
> books resources (NOT the LFS 6.3 resources), will I be able to follow
> the instructions as is in LFS 6.6 chapter 8.4 Using Grub to set up the
> Boot process or will I need to do it different to get my new 64-bit
> LFS 6.6 system to boot once it is installed?
>
> I am reading through the book and getting everything ready and in
> place before I start the build.

LFS 6.6 should already work fine on 64 bits, including its version of
GRUB. See the "Target Architechures" page -
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6.6/prologue/architecture.html
- I believe 64 bit support was in fact one of the primary reasons for
replacing the old GRUB with GRUB2.