LFS on USB?

Hans Kaper spakyelj at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 8 13:05:09 PST 2010

Op Mon, 08 Mar 2010 02:09:15 +0100 schreef littlebat
<dashing.meng at gmail.com>:

> On Sun, 07 Mar 2010 21:08:18 +0100
> "Hans Kaper" <spakyelj at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>> > My grub entry for my LFS6.4 stick is:
>> >
>> > title Linux From Scratch 6.4 Kernel 2.6.30.2
>> > root (hd0,0)
>> > kernel /boot/lfskernel-2.6.30.2 root=/dev/uba1
>> >
>> Omit the root=/dev/uba1-option. root (hd0,0) points already to the
>> device
>> you want to boot from.
>
> It should can't be omited, root (hd0,0) is the prefix location of your
> kernel or image file, and root=/dev/* indicates your device that /
> directory on it. For example, when your kernel file is
> (hd0,0)/boot/kernelfile, your root directory / can be root=/dev/hdc2 .

You are right, but most people install the kernel and root on the same
device and then it is better to omit the root=-option, because the
device-identifier changes depending on which computer you plug in the
USB-device, as Bahot Utot points out in another post in this thread.

Hans.