partition sizes

David Shaw dj.shaw at btconnect.com
Sat Mar 6 15:39:35 PST 2010

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-03-05 at 09:23 +0000, David Shaw wrote:
>
>> I vaguely remember reading somewhere that, if you use hibernation, your
>> computer's state is stored to the swap space.  So, if you have 2GB of
>> RAM and only 1GB of swap then hibernate would fail.
>>
>> Of course, I could have got totally the wrong end of the stick and be
>> talking complete nonsense here.
>>

> No, you're quite correct. But only relevant if you use hibernation,
> which I've never bothered with on a desktop machine.
>
> Simon.

Oh.  Good.  Thank you for confirming that  :-)

And I have a laptop - therefore do use hibernation - with 3GB of RAM.
There you go, a circumstance where 2GB of swap space isn't enough.  OK,
so it's pretty specific and about the only circumstance where you
*would* need more than 2GB swap and most of it's going to be totally
unused 99% of the time, but even so...  :-)

David