Partition Sizes, AGAIN!

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Fri Mar 5 16:45:34 PST 2010

Mike McCarty wrote:
> Baho Utot wrote:
>
>> Mike McCarty wrote:
>>
>>> Baho Utot wrote:
>>>
>> [putolin]
>>
>> I use a boot partition and this layout

>>> If /boot is an ordinary directory under /, and not a mount point,
>>> then one needs to modify the MBR to point to the place to find
>>> the boot record.
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>

>> Only the first time it is set up.  Never on updates.
>>

> Perhaps I haven't made clear what my understanding was.
>
> If /boot is an ordinary directory, then one appears in each
> of the "/" partitions, and that's the point of not doing so,
> but rather making /boot in each of the / partitions be a link
> to the one in /home/boot. Since /home is only one partition,
> then there is only one "real" /boot.

So as my setup, I just do it it a more standard way.
BTW I understand your method.

> If each partition has it's own /boot which is an ordinary
> directory, and not a mount point or link to another ordinary
> directory in another mounted partition, then you'd have to
> modify the MBR to point to the appropriate /boot in order
> to load the GRUB which is set up to use that partition.

Not so.  I have one point a boot partition that works/serves  3 installs
$(currently), when I add a fourth all that needs to be done is to add a
directory in /boot $(partition), add the kernel files for the install
and add an entry to menu.lst.
 I never have to change the master boot record or "install"/rerun grub.
it's always "in the same place", it never changes.

This current running system ( Slackware 12-2 ) has this in fstab:

~$ cat /etc/fstab
/dev/md1         swap             swap        defaults,noatime         0   0
/dev/mapper/root /                jfs         defaults,noatime         1   1
devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0
proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0
tmpfs            /dev/shm         tmpfs       defaults,size=256M 0   0
tmpfs   /tmp    tmpfs   defaults,nodev,nosuid,mode=1777,size=256M 0 0

this is the result of ~$  ls /boot
~$

Notice that it is empty, there are no files there.  I just leave the
/boot filesystem $( on the root filesystem ) there in case I need to
work on it, I just mount it when I need to.
Notice that the fstab does not have the boot partition mounted.
You don't need to. Once the system has booted /boot has done its work.