Partition Sizes, AGAIN!

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 5 07:57:14 PST 2010

Baho Utot wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Baho Utot wrote:
> [putolin]
>
> I use a boot partition and this layout
>>> $ ls /boot
>>> LFS-6.5/  Slack-x86-crypt/  Slackware-13.0-x86/  grub/  lost+found/
>>>
>> If /boot is an ordinary directory under /, and not a mount point,
>> then one needs to modify the MBR to point to the place to find
>> the boot record.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> Only the first time it is set up.  Never on updates.

Perhaps I haven't made clear what my understanding was.

If /boot is an ordinary directory, then one appears in each
of the "/" partitions, and that's the point of not doing so,
but rather making /boot in each of the / partitions be a link
to the one in /home/boot. Since /home is only one partition,
then there is only one "real" /boot.

If each partition has it's own /boot which is an ordinary
directory, and not a mount point or link to another ordinary
directory in another mounted partition, then you'd have to
modify the MBR to point to the appropriate /boot in order
to load the GRUB which is set up to use that partition.

> All that you have to modify menu.lst.
> The way I have it you have all the boot stuff in one place.
> I also don't mount the boot partition from the fstab $( it is not
> necessary ).
> That way if you do an update the update can not clobber the others.
> You do have to then move the updated files to the boot partition though.

You have found the bank of Larn.