partition sizes

David Shaw dj.shaw at btconnect.com
Fri Mar 5 01:23:00 PST 2010

Simon Geard wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-03-04 at 12:38 -0600, Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> I've got a question about this. Why bother with a swap partition?
>> AIUI, with 2.6 kernels, using a swap file is as fast as using a
>> swap partition, and it is certainly more flexible to modify later.
>>

> Relevant only if I'd ever want to modify it later, and I don't foresee
> any circumstances where 2GB of swap space isn't going to be enough. In
> practice, it's almost never in use anyway...
>
> Simon.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that, if you use hibernation, your
computer's state is stored to the swap space.  So, if you have 2GB of
RAM and only 1GB of swap then hibernate would fail.

Of course, I could have got totally the wrong end of the stick and be
talking complete nonsense here.

David Shaw