Partition Sizes, AGAIN!

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 4 18:26:47 PST 2010

Baho Utot wrote:
> Andrew Benton wrote:
>> I keep my kernel in /home/boot, along with all grub's files, so that if I boot into one
>> LFS partition or the other I can use the same kernel and I never need to use grub to rewrite
>> the MBR
>>
>> Andy
>>

> I don't understand how that helps

He was reacting to the question of why one would use
/home/boot as opposed to simply /boot as a regular directory
(not a mount point for a paritition).

> I use a boot partition and this layout
>
> $ ls /boot
> LFS-6.5/  Slack-x86-crypt/  Slackware-13.0-x86/  grub/  lost+found/

If /boot is an ordinary directory under /, and not a mount point,
then one needs to modify the MBR to point to the place to find
the boot record.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.