Partition Sizes, AGAIN!

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 4 14:15:49 PST 2010

stosss wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 4:39 PM, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> stosss wrote:
>>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> If I understand you, that carves 1G out of each of the system
>> partitions.
>
> If the swap file is on the / partition how does it take up space on
> the other partitions?

There are two / partitions, the "current" and "next".

For ease of reference, I'll repeat here what I wrote before.

prtn	size	mount point
----	----	-----------
hda1	100M	/boot
hda2	10G	/	(main)
hda3	10G	/	(build)
hda5	20G	/home

The / (main) is the one which would contain the currently
known working version used for normal boot and use, and
/ (build) would be the one to hold the next version of
LFS/BLFS which is "under construction" and would be used
to boot for building the next release.

In order to use swap, it needs to be available regardless
of which version is running. So, if it's in /, then there
are two copies, one in each /, and each gets 1G carved out
of it.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.