Partition Sizes, AGAIN!

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 4 13:43:02 PST 2010

Andrew Benton wrote:
> On 04/03/10 20:13, Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Andrew Benton wrote:
>>
>>> I use one partition for both /home and /boot. IE, /boot is a symbolic link
>>> pointing at /home/boot
>> Why not just use an ordinary directory for /boot, then? Is
>> there something I don't know?
>
> I keep my kernel in /home/boot, along with all grub's files, so that if I boot into one
> LFS partition or the other I can use the same kernel and I never need to use grub to rewrite
> the MBR

Good point on not having to rewrite. If one builds a new LFS, doesn't
one ordinarily also end up with a different kernel anyway, though?
I do like sequestering the kernels and boot control information,
but that can be done with an ordinary directory.

One issue with large discs is that one needs whatever contains /boot
to be near the beginning of the disc in some circumstances.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.