LFS6.5 - Bash question

Chris Staub chris at beaker67.com
Thu Mar 4 12:06:44 PST 2010

On 03/04/2010 07:14 AM, David Shaw wrote:
> Chris Staub wrote:
>>
>> This is the typical result when Ncurses is not installed, causing Bash
>> to use its own internal version. I'd check whether you've got Ncurses
>> and Readline correctly installed...
>>
>> ls -l /{usr/,}lib/lib*{readline,curses}*
>>

> root:/# ls -l /{usr/,}lib/lib*{readline,curses}*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     16 Feb 25 00:27 /usr/lib/libncursesw.so ->
> libncursesw.so.5

There's one problem right there. That link is pointing to the wrong
location - it should be -> ../../lib/libncursesw.so.5, not just
libncurses.so.5. At the very least, you need to recreate the symlink
using the command given in the book...

ln -sfv ../../lib/libncursesw.so.5 /usr/lib/libncursesw.so

Then rebuild anything up to your current point that depends on Ncurses -
I believe that would be Util-linux-ng, Procps, and Readline, then of
course Bash itself.

Near as I can tell everything else looks correct, but if that symlink
doesn't fix things, just completely rebuild Ncurses and everything after it.