partition sizes

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 11:16:33 PST 2010

Mike McCarty wrote:

> I've got a question about this. Why bother with a swap partition?
> AIUI, with 2.6 kernels, using a swap file is as fast as using a
> swap partition, and it is certainly more flexible to modify later.

That's certainly your choice.  The only problem is that if you run out
of memory, the system will start killing processes if there is no swap.

My rule of thumb is tht it doesn't matter if swap is a partition or a
file.  If you are in a situation where you are swapping regularly, it's
time to buy more RAM.

   -- Bruce

$ cat /proc/swaps
Filename                 Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/sda6                partition       2097140 56      1