5.7. Glibc-2.10.1

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 3 23:03:26 PST 2010

Suraj Linux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed and linked gawk. But now I am not able to configure
> glibc-2.10.1. I get the following error.
>
> lfs_suraj at robot-laptop:/home/disk3/sources/glibc-build
> $ ../glibc-2.10.1/configure
> checking for gcc... gcc

[...]

> checking whether autoconf works... yes
> configure: error:
> *** These critical programs are missing or too old: as ld
> *** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
>
> I even had a look at all the requirements in the INSTALL.txt file. All
> are installed.
> I guess ld version is old. But I am not sure what ld means. I tried
> looking at synaptic and I could not figure it out.

Umm, you are trying to build LFS, and you don't know what ld is?
The linker used in the gcc tool chain is ld. Do you know what
a linker is? If not, then perhaps LFS is really not the best choice
for you.

Do both as and ld exist, and if so, what versions are they?

$ ld -v

$ as -v

Try this as well...

$ set | grep PATH

Also, what does which say?

Try an ls -l on the as and ld listed by which, or in your PATH
variable.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.