LFS6.5 - Bash question

David Shaw dj.shaw at btconnect.com
Wed Mar 3 15:36:16 PST 2010

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>
>> What you want is
>>
>> 	set horizontal-scroll-mode off
>>
>> Check your /etc/inputrc and ~/.inputrc files. The default (used to be)
>> off. If you have a line like
>>
>> 	set horizontal-scroll-mode on
>>
>> in eitehr /etc/inputrc or ~/.inputrc, then that's the likely culprit.
>>
> Of course!  Thanks of the reminder.  We have that in LFS Section 7.7.
> We might want to consider putting that into the Section 6.6. Creating
> Essential Files and Symlinks so it is available early.
>
> We'd probably only need
>
>    echo "set horizontal-scroll-mode off" > /etc/inputrc
>
> and explain that it will be fleshed out in Chapter 7.
>

>    -- Bruce

I think I must have done something horribly wrong in that case as even
if I put in the entire /etc/inputrc file as given in chapter 7, the
<expletive deleted> thing still scrolls for me :-(

And, yes, I tried 'exec /bin/bash --login +h' and leaving and reentering
the chroot environment.  I even rebooted the whole PC in case that might
have some effect.

Ah well.  Too tired to worry about it now.  I'll have another go tomorrow.

Many thanks for all your help,

David