LFS6.5 - Bash question

Lewis Handy lewis.handy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 09:28:31 PST 2010

<snip>

>> Before switching to the new bash, as compiled in section 6.28, any typed
>> commands longer than 80 characters would wrap round onto the line below,
>> so that I could see the entire command all at the same time (actually,
>> 80 characters minus the length of the prompt, but you get the idea).
>>
>> Now, using the newly compiled bash, longer commands cause the prompt and
>> anything else to disappear off the left hand side of the window, which
>> means that I can only see the last 60+ or so characters of the command
>> and need to use the left and right cursor keys to scroll through the
>> line if I want to see what I've typed (or to find where I've made the
>> typo when the command fails to work).
>>
>> So, yes, thank you for the link; I learned something from it.  But,
>> unfortunately, my problem persists.

</snip>

You could always break up the command line using backslashes ( \ )
This allows you to type long commands, but over multiple lines to make
the command more readable.

eg:

cat /path/to/my/directory/myfile.stuff | \
grep something | \
awk '{print $1}'

is the same as :

cat /path/to/my/directory/myfile.stuff | grep something | awk '{print $1}'

HTH
Lewis