First Post: LFS 6.3 - Section 6.7.1 - gcc error

David Reese horus at netdoor.com
Mon Mar 1 19:09:40 PST 2010

On 01/-10/-28163 01:59 PM, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> David Reese wrote:
>> Greetings from America,
>
> Greetings from Texas :)
>
>> [First, I apologize if this message is incorrectly formatted -
>>  since Thunderbird 3.0 text formatting options seem woefully
>>  limited.  I did the best I could to manually wrap inside 72.]
>
> Thanks for the effort.  But I can't really remember much about 6.3.
> It's over two and a half yeas old.  The new stable 6.6 will be
> released either today or tomorrow.  There will be no changes that I
> know of from the current -dev book.
>
> I'd strongly recommend changing to the more current book.  You can
> still use the 6.3 live CD for booting though.
>
>> '/tools/lib/gcc/i686-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/as':
>>

> Just a guess, but it look slike binutils hasn't been installed
> properly in Chapter 5.  i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/as is the assembler from
> that package.
>
>   -- Bruce

Yeah, I was using the LiveCD for a "first pass" at this because I
figured all the packages needed would already be there, and I'm building
without benefit of a network connection.  The most up-to-date release of
the LiveCD I've yet found is 6.3, r.2160.

I will definitely be giving the new book a looking at, though.

So I guess, from what you've said above, that I get to go back and re-do
most (if not all) of the toolchain?    Hey, it's about learning how,
anyway, isn't it?

Eventually, I want to use PCLinuxOS (a Texan distro, by the way) as the
base for an actual "production" LFS system - basically I want to know
how to field-strip a Linux distribution and put it back together.  Maybe
learning this will help prepare me to contribute back to a distro of choice?

Thanks for the insights.  I think I'm going to start over from the
beginning and see if any of this makes better sense the second time around.

Later On,