Keeping up to date

stosss stosss at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 18:05:01 PST 2010

On Monday, March 1, 2010, brad martin <emclinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this is where a package management system comes into play.  In my past LFS system I wrote a package manager using shell scripts much like the one that Slackware uses (Sorry I no longer have it).  What my package manager did was installed the software to a fakeroot and then tar-ed the files and I also had an installer that untar-ed the files with permissions to the correct places.  All that I did not have was a uninstall/update program that will (using a database or file list) remove the files and untar the new files.  If you get your hands dirty with a true programming language (c, c++, ...) or a decent scripting language (python, ruby shell, ...) you can then update / remove programs easy.  As far as when and what to update I personally experiment with it because my LFS system is not my production system.  If I break it I reload from backup and then all better.
>
> Brad
>
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 7:04 PM, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
> It occurs to me that, since LFS is not exactly a supported
> distribution in the classic sense of the term, that keeping
> it up to date might be a bit interesting. What is the
> recommended process? How does one know when, and what?
>
> Simply rebuilding each time there is a new release, especially when
> one has a BLFS system, might be a bit much.
>
> ISTM that, one might want to subscribe to another distro's support
> list, and watch the "critical update" notices. When one of the
> standard distros releases a "critical update", one might go look
> at the affected software, and the rationale behind the update,
> and then make a considered decision about whether to get and try
> the modified package.
>
> Since all distros come from more or less the same upstream source,
> this might give one a "leg up" on what's going on in the world, and
> whether he might need to update, or at least if not, then to know
> what the exposure is.
>
> CentOS has such a list, limited to only the critical update notices,
> and might form such a source. It is very low volume.
>
> Comments?

I have been building Gentoo lately, because I want to build a 64bit
syytem with current source code and with a book already written for
64bit systems. I also want a package manager. I will continue with my
LFS build and move to the 64bit book when it is available.

I think based on what you have said before that Gentoo or ArchLinux
would be to your liking. They are both source build distros with
package managers. You can build them the way you want them to be
built.