Keeping up to date

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop73 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 1 17:58:16 PST 2010

On 2 March 2010 00:04, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> It occurs to me that, since LFS is not exactly a supported
> distribution in the classic sense of the term, that keeping
> it up to date might be a bit interesting. What is the
> recommended process? How does one know when, and what?
>
> Simply rebuilding each time there is a new release, especially when
> one has a BLFS system, might be a bit much.

 To find out about known vulnerabilities, I subscribe to lwn.net.
It's also useful to see what is happening in xorg and the big
two desktop environments.

 For gnome and kde, there is perhaps some point to
NOT building in /usr if you want to keep a system running
and still current.

 Wherever you are looking at vulnerabilities, remember to
check that you are indeed using the dodgy version - some of
the vulnerabilities, particularly in debian/ubuntu, are only for
old versions.

 Personally, I _try_ to keep a system in use for between
6 months and a year (so, scripts are essential). I take
the simple route - if the toolchain *needs* to be
rebuilt, build a new system.  Where I've got a batch of
things using gecko (until gnome-2.28 epiphany, maybe
yelp) I don't upgrade xulrunner beyond point releases
(so depending on my timing, the system might not last
as long as I intended).  Otherwise, I only try newer
versions if a bugfix or extra functionality looks useful.
For xorg, I tend not to upgrade once the system is working
reliably.

 When I do an upgrade, I often create a script for the
upgrade, based on the build script.  This almost
makes upgrading the lizard manageable (barring
recurrent breakages on ppc/ppc64 in newer nss/nspr
or demands to upgrade nss/nspr where I'm still using
separate versions :)

 Maybe I should also add that some of my systems
have a far shorter lifespan, e.g. the one I built in
December will soon be discarded because printing
is broken - hopefully, using cups-1.3 instead of (1.4
followed by 1.3) in my current build will solve that
particular problem.

 For the "oh, that bug was fixed in the next release"
issues, you're generally on your own.

So, apart from rebuilding if you want to upgrade the
toolchain, it really is "your distro, your rules" and
I'm sure everyone treats it differently.

ĸen (just about to try booting 6.6-ish)
--
After tragedy, and farce, "OMG poneys!"