Keeping up to date

brad martin emclinux at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 17:14:53 PST 2010

I think this is where a package management system comes into play.  In my
past LFS system I wrote a package manager using shell scripts much like the
one that Slackware uses (Sorry I no longer have it).  What my package
manager did was installed the software to a fakeroot and then tar-ed the
files and I also had an installer that untar-ed the files with permissions
to the correct places.  All that I did not have was a uninstall/update
program that will (using a database or file list) remove the files and untar
the new files.  If you get your hands dirty with a true programming language
(c, c++, ...) or a decent scripting language (python, ruby shell, ...) you
can then update / remove programs easy.  As far as when and what to update I
personally experiment with it because my LFS system is not my production
system.  If I break it I reload from backup and then all better.

Brad

Mysite: http://www.emclinux.com

http://bccplease.com/