Keeping up to date

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 1 16:04:43 PST 2010

It occurs to me that, since LFS is not exactly a supported
distribution in the classic sense of the term, that keeping
it up to date might be a bit interesting. What is the
recommended process? How does one know when, and what?

Simply rebuilding each time there is a new release, especially when
one has a BLFS system, might be a bit much.

ISTM that, one might want to subscribe to another distro's support
list, and watch the "critical update" notices. When one of the
standard distros releases a "critical update", one might go look
at the affected software, and the rationale behind the update,
and then make a considered decision about whether to get and try
the modified package.

Since all distros come from more or less the same upstream source,
this might give one a "leg up" on what's going on in the world, and
whether he might need to update, or at least if not, then to know
what the exposure is.

CentOS has such a list, limited to only the critical update notices,
and might form such a source. It is very low volume.

Comments?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.