Probably need to reinstall GCC

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 1 11:06:37 PST 2010

brown wrap wrote:

> I have trouble compiling once I got into BLFS. I think I clobbered
> something during an install. Anything that tries to include:
>
> /usr/include/string.h won't compile. I figured out that file get
> installed from glibc, but gcc won't compile it. So I need to backup
> to a point in LFS where I can recompile gcc and then reinstalll glic.
>
> If I start at pass one and recompile gcc, what else should be remade?

The safe answer is "everything". More likely is "nothing", so
long as you are rebuilding identically the same version of gcc.

More realistically, I'd try looking at string.h and find out
what happened to it. Without forensic information, it's difficult
to say how to proceed. What is the cause of death?

Have you tried doing a diff of the file in /usr/include and the
one which comes "fresh" out of the tarball?

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.