Problem installing glibc-2.11.1 in section 6.9

Joshua Willems joshua.willems at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 09:57:30 PDT 2010

Hello everyone,

I've followed the 6.6 version of Linux From Scratch, not doing
anything different from the book, and now I've run into a problem.
I've searched on Google for this problem, but none of the results
seemed to help me.

The problem is, when I do 'make install', it returns the following error:

------

Use of uninitialized value in string ne at
scripts/test-installation.pl line 163, <LDD> line 20.
Library libgcc_s is not correctly installed.
Please check your installation!
Offending line of ldd output:   libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so.1
(0x00002b6b08d8c000)

The script has found some problems with your installation!
Please read the FAQ and the README file and check the following:
- Did you change the gcc specs file (necessary after upgrading from
 Linux libc5)?
- Are there any symbolic links of the form libXXX.so to old libraries?
 Links like libm.so -> libm.so.5 (where libm.so.5 is an old library) are wrong,
 libm.so should point to the newly installed glibc file - and there should be
 only one such link (check e.g. /lib and /usr/lib)
You should restart this script from your build directory after you've
fixed all problems!
Btw. the script doesn't work if you're installing GNU libc not as your
primary library!

------

My CPU architecture is x86_64

Does anyone know how this can be fixed?