Help with Glib-c 2.11.1 Pass 1 (ch 5.7) in LFS 6.6

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 29 09:57:21 PDT 2010

Andrew Benton wrote:
> On 29/06/10 11:50, Saxon Landers wrote:
>> Hi there, im new to the mailing list, so please correct me if i make any
>> mistakes.
>>
>> I have used linux for some time, and wanted to make my own, so ive gone
>> for LFS.
>> I am compiling onto a SanDisk Cruzer 4gb portable USB flash drive, so i
>> am using /dev/sdb (without a specific partition) to save space.
>
> Is that even possible? How are you going to mount it if it doesn't have
> a partition?

The mount command should be able to mount anything with a file system
in it. CD-ROMS don't have partitions, nor do "native" USB sticks,
nor floppies, nor ISO images, nor other files with file systems
in them. AFAIK, there's no file system type defined for tapes,
but with the proper definitions and driver, one would be able
to mount a tape. I've done so with other operating systems
which have that capability.

If mount can't do it, then mount is broken.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.