Problem installing the "nouveau" driver

alupu at verizon.net alupu at verizon.net
Mon Jun 28 11:28:37 PDT 2010

Hi Aleksandar, Andy, Neil, Simon and
 all the other great participants in this thread:

Jun 22, 11:54:28 AM, Alex wrote:
> At that point ("nouveau" Udev load? ), the screen goes
> blank for a split second then continues OK all the way
> to the console prompt.

> Note: The screen resolution switches from 80x25
> (i.e. "VGA Text", as they say), to something like
> 240x67 (1920x1080? ) - full widescreen - after the momentary blank.
> I'm not worried too much though (I prefer 80x25 in text mode).
> I think I can fix that somehow with local means.
> Maybe even the quick blank in the process.

then on

Jun 23, 09:42:48 AM, Alex added:
> I have until the autumnal equinox to try to fix the
> annoyance of nouveau's boot-up switching to HiDef on me.

Boy, was I wrong! (or, as they say concisely, I misspoke).

I wrote to Stephane Marchesin, the author of the
"nouveau" driver, directly
 (his profile: "icps.u-strasbg.fr/~marchesin/").

Stephane is a very nice guy;  he responded promptly
to my two E-mails.  In short, the exchange consisted of
four E-mails:
1. Alex ---> Stephane
2. Stephane ---> Alex
3. Alex ---> Stephane
4. Stephane ---> Alex

In the following, the gory details.  I separated the four
contents by a "N.  ==...==" line.  For accuracy,
I left everything intact;  only the salutations are gone.