bootloaders and USB

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Jun 28 07:29:04 PDT 2010

On Monday 28 June 2010 10:05:33 Eric Miller wrote:
> i'm trying to avoid using plop, the interface is very ugly and this is for
> a professional project.
>
> plop functions perfectly though....it just looks like a video game from
> 1985.
>
> could I do a full boot into a small linux like tinycore and then do some
> kind of scripted chroot?

If booting from CD is acceptable, then yes, you could use a miniscule Linux to
create your own boot CD. Make an initramfs (paying *close* attention to the
required and allowed cpio options) that contains the needed utilities,
including Busybox. With the right bits, you can create a very slick UI.

If plop functions perfectly, extract its files, extract its initrd/initramfs
and create a better one. At least examine how they made it work.