bootloaders and USB

Andrew Benton b3nton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 05:12:59 PDT 2010

On 28/06/10 00:35, Eric Miller wrote:
> do most of the standard bootloaders (grub/,lilo, etc) have the ability
> to boot to usb even when the BIOS doesn't natively support boot to usb
> or floppy emulation?

I don't think so. I don't know about lilo. I don't think that grub has
the drivers to do hardware probing. I think it just takes whatever the
BIOS tells it and can't "see" anything else.
If you can make a small partition on your hard drive (or some other
device that the BIOS can "see") you can put the grub files and the
kernel on that. Then grub can boot the kernel and the kernel (if you've
compiled in all the correct drivers) should be able to mount a partition
on the usb as it's root partition.

Andy