stripping down lfs

Smartboy smartboyathome at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 17:51:09 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 5:13 PM, Eric Miller <miller.eric.t at gmail.com> wrote:
> im not familiar with busybox...it doesn't look like a stand alone distro,
> but rather a rollup of basic linux essentials in one package.
>
> so, you guys are suggesting that i put busybox on a stripped down LFS system
> and rock out with that?
>
> yes the .dd images (there are two of them to choose from) will be on the
> live CD as well.
>
> I still am unclear on how to determine smartly what I can strip.....
>
> I'm building another LFS now to use as a base....
>
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 7:55 PM, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Eric Miller wrote:
>> > hey all...haven't been here since 2002 lolz.
>> >
>> > I'm hoping to build a stripped down LFS to use on a livecd that will do
>> > one
>> > thing only:  present the user with a simple scripted text menu, and then
>> > (based on the menu input) .dd an image to a usb thumb drive.
>>
>> You might consider using busybox.
>> You could "unmaster" the LiveCD, and then strip the image down to
>> just what you need, install busybox, then remaster it.
>>
>> Mike
>> --
>> p="p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}
>> Oppose globalization and One World Governments like the UN.
>> This message made from 100% recycled bits.
>> You have found the bank of Larn.
>> I speak only for myself, and I am unanimous in that!
>> --

I would actually suggest looking at the tinycore linux project to see
if you can find a list of packages it includes. They managed to create
a minimal CLI system which only takes up 10MBs of space. In fact, this
might be a faster approach since they have good docs on how to modify
it to do what you want. :)

Smartboy