stripping down lfs

Neal Murphy neal.p.murphy at alum.wpi.edu
Wed Jun 23 16:48:34 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 23 June 2010 19:25:52 Eric Miller wrote:
> hey all...haven't been here since 2002 lolz.
>
> I'm hoping to build a stripped down LFS to use on a livecd that will do one
> thing only:  present the user with a simple scripted text menu, and then
> (based on the menu input) .dd an image to a usb thumb drive.
> My question:  chapter six lists upwards to 60 packages...I'm sure I won't
> need many if not most of them in the final product.  What is the smartest
> way to determine what is needed?  Do I need to build complete LFS and then
> strip, or can I intelligently determine what i need to build, build its
> stripped down and go?

I believe LFS produces a basic, fairly simple system that can build itself. I
would suggest building LFS and then including on the live CD only those parts
you need.

For what you want to do, busybox should serve well. Udev would be good to have
to find the thumb drive. Your initramfs can contain the entire live system
unless your images are on the CD/DVD as well (no need to leave early boot).
Your menu script can serve as init. You might want terminfo and ncurses to
make a pretty ANSI 3.64 menu. Include the dependencies of those things and
you should be about good to go.