stripping down lfs

Eric Miller miller.eric.t at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 16:25:52 PDT 2010

hey all...haven't been here since 2002 lolz.

I'm hoping to build a stripped down LFS to use on a livecd that will do one
thing only:  present the user with a simple scripted text menu, and then
(based on the menu input) .dd an image to a usb thumb drive.

That's it.

boots, runs the menu, dds the chosen image to USB, then reboots (the boot
manager I'm using gives the option to boot to USB drive).

My question:  chapter six lists upwards to 60 packages...I'm sure I won't
need many if not most of them in the final product.  What is the smartest
way to determine what is needed?  Do I need to build complete LFS and then
strip, or can I intelligently determine what i need to build, build its
stripped down and go?