Problem installing the "nouveau" driver

alupu at verizon.net alupu at verizon.net
Tue Jun 22 08:49:57 PDT 2010

Jun 21, 2010 06:11:14 PM, Andrew Benton wrote.
Jun 21, 2010 08:54:20 PM, Aleksandar Kuktin wrote.
Jun 22, 2010 04:25:40 AM, Simon Geard wrote.

Hi guys,

The "nouveau" now works !!  Boot-up, KDE, Fluxbox.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Details:
The boot-up proceeds to the point it would go blank permanently before.
At that point ("nouveau" Udev load? ), the screen goes
blank for a split second then continues OK all the way to the console prompt.

Note:  The screen resolution switches from 80x25
(i.e. "VGA Text", as they say), to something like
240x67 (1920x1080? ) - full widescreen - after the momentary blank.
I'm not worried too much though (I prefer 80x25 in text mode).
I think I can fix that somehow with local means.
Maybe even the quick blank in the process.

Thoughts:
It'll take a while for me to sort this all out.
I want to see which parameter(s) was the clincher (for
the advancement of science).
I'm doubly glad it worked finally.  Another set or two
of new parameters to disable, I'd've been left with
an empty 'config' file! :).

I'll come back in a day or two with my final conclusions.

In the meantime, IF _you_ guys are still thinking about this
episode at all, maybe you could reserve a minute or so
to the existential question:

How come the original NVIDIA driver, after all these ugly
and hostile parameter settings I threw at it, it was left still
standing at the end of the day?

------

For the record, a summary of the three posts.
Note:  the new setting of the respective parameter is shown
in square brackets

Aleksandar Kuktin
I went over the settings, and I have a few suspicious things.

First off, do you load the framebuffer console module? The one in
drivers=>Graphics support=>Console display driver support, AKA
FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE ?? This is an absolutely necessary module.

[ {*} Framebuffer Console support  (was <M>) ]

The other module I am interested in is VIDEO_OUTPUT_CONTROL ?

[ {*} Lowlevel video output switch controls (was <M>) ]

Third you might want to try with FB_TILEBLITTING, in
drivers=>Graphics support=>Support for frame buffer devices

[ [*]   Enable Tile Blitting Support (was [ ]) ]

Also, you might want to explore VGA_SWITCHEROO (not too much logic in
that, I just have it compiled in, it's a shot).

[ [*] Laptop Hybrid Grapics - GPU switching support (was [ ]) ]

Turns out VESA really isn't the problem - I just discovered I had it
compiled right in all this time. :)

----------

Andrew Benton
I can't see anything obviously wrong. I don't like the look of these

CONFIG_AGP_INTEL=m

[ < >   Intel 440LX/BX/GX, I8xx and E7x05 chipset support  (was <M>) ]

CONFIG_AGP_SIS=m

[ < >   SiS chipset support (was <M>) ]

CONFIG_DRM_I915=m

[ < >     i915 driver (was <M>) ]

-----------

Simon Geard
I notice CONFIG_DRM_I915 is set, as a module. Shouldn't matter in theory
since you presumably don't have Intel graphics hardware as well as
NVidia, but probably worth disabling it anyway.

[ see Andrew above]

Also, you have CONFIG_FIRMWARE_EDID=y, which isn't set on my system.
Might be relevant, since while the docs say it should be safe to enable,
they note:

"If you experience extremely long delays while booting before you get
something on your display, try setting this to N."

So, probably worth turning it off, see if that makes a difference. From
the docs, it sounds like it's an option you enable to work around
problem hardware, isn't needed by the majority, and might potentially be
causing problems.

[ [ ]   Enable firmware EDID (was [*]) ]

---

Again, thanks a lot!
-- Alex