urgent (Neal Murphy)

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 11:11:03 PDT 2010

JimD. wrote:
>  > As for Minux, another endeavor that failed to meet expectations.
>
>> It depends on what you think the expectations were.  My book on Minix is
>> dated 1988 and included a 5.25 floppy with the entire source code, about
>> 13000 lines.  Tannenbaum said he wrote it for instructional reasons, not
>> commercial, and by that standard was quite successful.
>
> I agree that it depends on what your expectations are and I've heard those
> goals before.
> I'm sure your book is excellent, but I just don't think it would the the
> ideal starting place.

Ideal starting place for what?  Learning how an OS works?  Leaving aside
the word 'ideal', the best way to learn is, IMO, with a simplified
version of a complex concept that gives a general overview and enough
details to start to understand the underlying complexities.  Minix
satisfies that goal.

 From that point a study of something like BSD or Linux can follow for a
more in depth understanding.  After all, there have been a lot of PhD
Dissertations on just pieces of the system like I/O, Memory Management,
Message Passing, Scheduling, Networking, etc.

   -- Bruce